The icy winter months have inspired me to explore the German delight, Glühwein, and with a cold snap rumoured to be on its way, I know what I’m looking forward to this weekend. It tastes better than it sounds, and it has a very apres-ski allure to it, so put on your snowflake patterned knit sweater and serve yourself a nice warm drink.
1. Slowly heat the red wine in a large saucepan or pot (don’t bring to the boil at any point as this will cause the alcohol to evaporate).
2. Put the cloves into the lemon and add it to the wine along with the cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar.
3. Stir slowly until the sugar has dissolved. Leave to simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes (again, don’t allow it to boil).
4. Remove the cinnamon, cloves, and lemon
5. Pour it in a nice bottle and serve it warm.
There you go, a drink guaranteed to taste better than it sounds!